- A Comprehensive Guide to Legal Planning for Dementia and Alzheimer’s Patients and Their Families - When you or someone you love is diagnosed with a progressive disease like Alzheimer’s or dementia, you face a number of serious considerations, and many of those considerations need to be made quickly before the disease has a chance to progress. In addition to decisions about care, doctors, medical treatments, and therapies, this is also the time to make legal decisions to plan for the future, like creating an estate plan to allow you or your loved one to express his or her full wishes.
- Compassion Fatigue for Caregivers - Caring too much can hurt. When caregivers focus on others without practicing self-care, destructive behaviors can surface. Apathy, isolation, bottled up emotions, and substance abuse head a long list of symptoms associated with the secondary traumatic stress disorder now labeled Compassion Fatigue.
- Alzheimer's Association advances research to end Alzheimer's and dementia while enhancing care for those living with the disease.
Community Tour Checklist
Taking a tour of a senior living community to see if it’s the right fit for you or your loved one? Use this checklist as a guide to help you through the process.
- Were you greeted promptly by the front desk team and offered assistance or a refreshment?
- As you tour the community, observe the staff and resident interactions. Is the staff patient, helpful, and kind? Were you greeted and welcomed by residents and staff as you toured?
- Did you observe residents socializing with each other and/or attending activities? Ask a resident about their community experiences.
- Was there an activity or life engagement calendar posted or was one provided in your tour packet? If so, do any of the planned activities meet your or your family member's needs?
- Is the building clean and odor free?
- Are the hallways, doorways, and common areas conducive to safe walking?
- Take the time to have a meal. Is the service staff friendly and attentive? Are the dining hours and food choices flexible? Did the staff meet your food handling expectations?
- Take time to meet the executive director of the community or other key team members.
- Ask how many staff members are scheduled throughout the day.
- What is the evening availability of the care team? What is their system for obtaining 24-hour assistance?
- Ask about staff training and credentials, and request to meet the licensed nurse at the community.
- How many hours per day or per week is the nurse in the building?
- Ask to see their most recent state survey.
Senior Care Resources
Quail Park Memory Care Residences of Visalia has put together the following list of online resources related to senior living, senior care, and senior health.
Additional Military Veteran Resources
Quail Park Memory Care Residences of Visalia provides additional information for our military veterans.