Living Care Lifestyles offers you the following list of online resources related to senior care and health. Whether you're a senior, loved one, family or professional caregiver, or senior service provider we hope you'll find a wealth of helpful information in the following categories:
- Memory Care Resources
- Aging Resources
- Financial Resources
- Government Resources
- Healthcare Providers
- Home Services
- Legal Organizations
- Retired Workers
- Senior Care FAQs
- Specific Health Issues
- Tour Checklist
- For Veterans
- Additional Resources
Memory Care Resources
- A Comprehensive Guide to Legal Planning for Dementia and Alzheimer’s Patients and Their Families When you or someone you love is diagnosed with a progressive disease like Alzheimer’s or dementia, you face a number of serious considerations, and many of those considerations need to be made quickly before the disease has a chance to progress. In addition to decisions about care, doctors, medical treatments and therapies, this is the time to make some legal decisions to plan for the future. The sooner you create an estate plan, the greater the likelihood that the patient will be able to express his or her full wishes, ensuring that the estate plan is exactly what he or she would want. These are some tips and guidelines to help you through this process.
- Compassion Fatigue for Caregivers Caring too much can hurt. When caregivers focus on others without practicing self-care, destructive behaviors can surface. Apathy, isolation, bottled up emotions and substance abuse head a long list of symptoms associated with the secondary traumatic stress disorder now labeled: Compassion Fatigue. Find out more about Compassion Fatigue with this resource from Living Care Lifestyles.
- Generations Online The nonprofit program for Internet literacy and Access for the elderly.
- National Areas on Aging The National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a) is a 501c(3) membership association representing America’s national network of 622 Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) and providing a voice in the nation’s capital for the 256 Title VI Native American aging programs.
- National Association of States United for Aging and Disabilities An organization with the mission to design, improve, and sustain state systems delivering home and community based services and supports for people who are older or have a disability, and their caregivers.
- National Senior Games Association The NSGA is a 501(c)3, non-profit, corporation dedicated to promoting healthy and active lifestyles for athletes age 50 and over.
- Oasis An organization with the goal of promoting healthy aging through a three-fold approach: lifelong learning, active lifestyles and volunteer engagement.
- Senior Corps Senior Corps helps communities in the form of senior volunteers over the age of 55.
- Senior Job Bank For more than a decade, SeniorJobBank.org has been committed to bringing together employers with qualified older job seekers. They have built an audience of seasoned or experienced workers on the Web that is second to none.
- Senior Service America, Inc Senior Service America, Inc. (SSAI) is committed to making it possible for low-income and other disadvantaged older adults to participate fully in determining their own future and the future of their communities.
- Elderlife Financial Services With an Elderlife Line of Credit or home loan, senior living can be affordable today. Whether selling a home, applying for VA benefits or waiting for other funds, Elderlife financing options give you financial flexibility. Funding may be provided in less than 24 hours.
- Health Finder - Senior Article Archives Information about common health issues related to seniors.
- Medicare and Medicaid Services The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, CMS, is part of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Medline Plus - Seniors' Health An excellent government-provided resource with a wealth of Senior Health Information.
- National Institute on Aging
NIA, one of the 27 Institutes and Centers of NIH, leads the federal government in conducting and supporting research on aging and the health and well-being of older people.
- Social Security Online The official website of The United States Social Security Administration
- Veterans Affairs (formerly Veterans Administration) The official website of The United States Department of Veterans Affairs
- National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Mgrs This group's mission is to develop expertise; enhance the success of members; share a unique knowledge base; and promote the interests of the Aging Life Care™ profession.
- Meals on Wheels Meals on Wheels America is the oldest and largest national organization supporting the more than 5,000 community-based senior nutrition programs across the country that are dedicated to addressing senior hunger and isolation
- National Association for Home Care The National Association for Home Care & Hospice (NAHC) is the largest and most respected professional association representing the interests of chronically ill, disabled, and dying Americans of all ages and the caregivers who provide them with in-home health and hospice services.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. (NAELA) was founded in 1987 as a professional association of attorneys who are dedicated to improving the quality of legal services provided to people as they age and people with special needs.d
- National Senior Citizen’s Law Center Justice in Aging is a national non-profit legal advocacy organization that fights senior poverty through law.
- National Citizen’s Coalition for Nursing Home Reform The Consumer Voice is the leading national voice representing consumers in issues related to long-term care, helping to ensure that consumers are empowered to advocate for themselves.
- National Committee to Preserve Social Security & Medicare The National Committee is dedicated to protecting Social Security and Medicare benefits for all communities and generations.
- Alliance for Aging Research The Alliance for Aging Research is the leading nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the pace of scientific discoveries and their application to vastly improve the universal human experience of aging and health.
- American Federation for Aging Research For 35 years, the American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR) has supported the science of healthier aging. AFAR has played a major role in advancing knowledge of aging and mechanisms of age-related disease by providing grants to nearly 3,200 talented scientists.
- Gerontological Society of America GSA’s principal mission — and that of their 5,500 members — is to advance the study of aging and disseminate information among scientists, decision makers, and the general public.
- Alliance for Retired Americans The mission of the Alliance for Retired Americans is to ensure social and economic justice and full civil rights for all citizens so that they may enjoy lives of dignity, personal and family fulfillment and security.
- American Association of Retired Persons AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that helps people 50 and older improve the quality of their lives.
Specific Health Issues
- Alzheimer's Association Formed in 1980, the Alzheimer's Association advances research to end Alzheimer's and dementia while enhancing care for those living with the disease.
- American Diabetes Association The ADA leads the fight against the deadly consequences of diabetes and fight for those affected by diabetes.
- American Heart Association "Our mission is to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. That single purpose drives all the AHA does. The need for our work is beyond question."
- American Parkinson Disease Association The American Parkinson Disease Association(APDA) was founded in 1961 with the dual purpose to Ease the Burden - Find the Cure for Parkinson's disease.
- Arthritis Foundation The Arthritis Foundation leads the fight for the arthritis community through life-changing information and resources, access to optimal care, advancements in science and community connections. Their goal is to chart a winning course and make each day another stride towards a cure.
- Lighthouse International Lighthouse Guild is the leading not-for-profit vision + healthcare organization, with a long-standing heritage of addressing the needs of people who are blind or visually impaired, including those with multiple disabilities or chronic medical conditions.
- Family Caregiver Alliance - National Center on Caregiving Family Caregiver Alliance supports and sustains the important work of families nationwide caring for loved ones with chronic, disabling health conditions.
- American Seniors Housing Association The American Seniors Housing Association (ASHA) was formed in 1991. Members of ASHA are executives involved in the operation, development and finance of the entire spectrum of seniors housing – independent living, assisted living, and continuing care retirement communities.
- SeniorNet SeniorNet's mission is to provide older adults education for and access to computer technologies to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom.
- Legacy Advisor - Your solution for end of life funeral pre-planning or immediate assistance with funeral needs. Decisions about end of life planning are deeply personal and our team of experts can assist you and/or a loved one in making funeral plans that will accentuate a life well-lived. Pre-planning, like most things in life, help ensure that wishes are followed, which results in peace of mind for the whole family. Your life, Your legacy.
SIGN UP FOR OUR E-NEWSLETTER
How Can We Help?
“After failing to thrive at another facility, we placed my mom at Quail Park. Now my mom, despite her memory loss, is happy and socializing with her new best friend. The staff at Quail Park is professional and does a great job interacting with the residents.”
Daughter of Resident